London Pulse Hubs
London Pulse Performance Pathway
Our eight Hubs are the first step onto our Performance Pathway. The Hubs sit both with, and beneath our NPL Squads. The Hubs provide a greater number of athletes’ access to the London Pulse performance environment, where athletes will experience both training and competition. Hub athletes may be nominated by their Hub Coaches into U17 or U19 NPL training environments at any time in the year.
Purpose of Hubs
The Hubs widen our athlete base, where we can continue to track and coach, athletes who are potentially future London Pulse NPL Athletes. The Hub sessions provide athletes with one localised training session per week. Within the Hubs will be our U17 NPL athletes. This provides the U17 NPL Squad with a second London Pulse training session in the week, their first being in their NPL training group, with Kat Whittall & Sue Kearsey. It is expected athletes within the Hubs will be aged U19-U14, the age boundaries are guidelines, if it is appropriate for athletes to be within the Hubs, they can be. It is expected, from a group of » 24 athletes approximately 6 x U19, 12 x U17 and 6 x U15.
The Hubs provide opportunities for identified coaches to Lead and Assist, in both a training and a competition environment. The Hubs should enable these coaches to gain experience to potentially become the next wave of London Pulse NPL Coaches.
The Hub League provides a competition environment to mimic the NPL, where athletes will have an opportunity to put into practice their learnings from London Pulse training sessions. All eight Hubs will compete in the London Pulse Hub League. Each Hub will field two teams (Pink and Black) in the League. There are two divisions within the League, a Pink Division and Black Division.
Each Division will play in a round-robin format. The top two teams at the end of the League, from each Division, will play in the Hub League Finals, before a VNSL game (dates TBC).
Date: Sunday 27th October – Opening Tournament and Athlete & Parent/Guardian Workshop
Time: 10.00am-4.00pm, Athlete & Parent/Guardian Workshop (10am-11.30am)
Venue: Edge Grove School, Radlett, Watford, WD25 8NL
Date: Saturday 8th February
Venue: Ongar Academy, Fyfield Rd, Ongar CM5 0AN
Date: Sunday 23rd February
Venue: Brunel University Sports Park, 100 Kingston Lane, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH
Date: Sunday 29th March
Venue: Redbridge Sports Centre, Forest Road, Ilford,IG6 3HD
Date: Sunday 5th April
Venue: Notting Hill & Ealing High School, 2 Cleveland Rd, Ealing, London, W13 8AX
Venue: Score, 100 Oliver Rd, Leyton, London E10 5JY
Head Coach: Lisa Brown
Assistant Coach: Sophia Sefton
Venue: The Ongar Academy, Fyfield Rd, Ongar CM5 0AN
Head Coach: Fran Plom
Assistant Coach: Liam Ferns
Venue: The Ongar Academy, Fyfield Rd, Ongar CM5 0AN
Head Coach: Stacey Wade
Assistant Coach: Chloe Gregory
Venue: Bromley High School, Blackbrook Lane, Bromley BR1 2TW
Head Coach: Lauren Cripps
Assistant Coach: Kate Watts
Venue: South Hampstead High School, 3 Maresfield Gardens, London NW3 5SS
Head Coach: Jennifer Matthews
Assistant Coach: Jenni Monger
Venue: Streatham & Clapham Prep School, Wavertree Road, Streatham, London SW2 3SR
Head Coach: Rowena Scott-Fairclough
Assistant Coach: Sharron Lewis-Burke
Venue: Clapham Leisure Centre, 141 Clapham Manor St, Clapham, London SW4 6DB
Head Coach: Dee DeMoubray
Assistant Coach: Kerry O’Shea
Venue: Notting Hill and Ealing High School, 2 Cleveland Rd, Ealing, London W13 8AX
Head Coach: Kandis Nelson
Assistant Coaches: Ashleigh Kinch, Philippa Flemming
Purpose of Policy
This Selection Policy sets out how netball athletes (Athletes) are selected by London Pulse (LP) into LP’s Academy Programme, and LP’s Competition Squads.
This Selection Policy applies to Athletes being selected by LP to the following:
- LP’s Academy Programme
- LP’s Competition Squads for NPL League, NPL tournaments, external matches (friendlies), and The London Pulse Hub League. The U15, U17, U19, and U21 teams in any LP Competition Squad will be drawn from the LP Academy Programme, and (where applicable) by invitation from the Director of Netball, Head of Academies or relevant Identified Head Coach for that LP Competition Squad. No Athlete has the right to expect that they will be selected for any LP Competition Squad simply due to their previous inclusion in either of LP’s Academy Programme or LP’s Competition Squads.
- Please see appendix 1
Performance Mission & Objectives
LP aspires to reach the top four of the 2020 Netball Superleague. To achieve that goal LP must develop more top-flight Athletes who can function as a top-flight team. This aspiration provides the beacon to guide all performance activity and decision making, including the management of the selection to, and development of Athletes within, LP’s Academy Programme.
In line with LP’s performance mission set out above, LP’s primary objectives are, therefore, to select Competition Squads capable of winning all matches, especially those within EN events, including: (a) U21 Netball Performance League (U21 NPL); (b) U19 Netball Performance League (U19 NPL); (c) U17 Netball Performance Foundation League (U17 NPFL); (d) U21 NPL Tournament; and (e) U19 NPL Tournament.
Selection for non-EN competitions may be made on the basis of providing development for future championship success to Athletes within LP’s Academy Programme.
To be eligible for selection into LP’s Academy Programme and LP’s Competition Squads, an Athlete must:
- Be eligible to play for London Pulse in the NPL Leagues and Tournament (as determined by the EN regulations applicable at the time).
- Be a member of LP’s Academy Programme or be invited by the Director of Netball, Head of Academies or relevant Head Coach.
- Not be currently serving any sanction for any violation of any relevant anti-doping laws and/or regulations.
A selection panel will be established by LP for selecting Athletes into:
- LP’s Academy Programme
- Athletes into LP’s Competition Squads
The Membership of Selection Panels is set out in the section below. Each Selection Panel will apply the following principles in the course of carrying out any Selection Process
- This Selection Policy employs an open, transparent and equitable process that gives all Athletes a fair chance to challenge for selection.
- Selection will be based on merit and the need to achieve the objectives of LP set out in the Performance Mission and Objectives section above.
- No Athlete has the right or expectation to on-going selection for LP’s Academy Programme or any of LP’s Competition Squads, at any time.
- Each Selection Panel has the right to determine, at its sole discretion, when it will reselect Athletes into LP’s Academy Programme or any of LP’s Competition Squad.
- Athletes will be subject to de-selection if they breach any relevant LP policies or regulations.
- The relevant Head Coach under the Membership of Selection Panels section below has the right to invite Athletes from outside LP’s Academy Programme to be observed and considered by the Selection Panel for inclusion in Competition Squads – see paragraph (c) of both the Purpose & scope of policy and Eligibility sections above.
- In selecting for a team sport, regard will be made to the combinations of Athletes in LP’s Academy Programme or LP’s Competition Squads, the balance of any Competition Squad and the ability of Athletes to play in more than one position, alongside each Athlete’s individual skill level.
- Athlete performance at Designated Selection Events (as set out in the Designated Selection Event(s) section below) will be observed, live or via DVD/HUDL, and assessed independently and against the selection criteria set out.
- Following completion of all the Designated Selection Events, the relevant Head Coach will consult with the LP coaching team, and take into account any relevant input from LP’s performance sports science and medical team deemed necessary to make informed Athlete nominations for selection
- The Nominated Athletes will be those that, in the expert opinion of the Director of Netball, Head of Academies and/or relevant Age Group Head Coach are most able to achieve the objectives of LP set out in the Performance Mission and Objectives section above.
- The relevant Head Coach will meet with the relevant Selection Panel to discuss the Nominated Athletes and provide the opportunity for the members of the relevant Selection Panel to check and challenge and ensure Athlete selection decisions are evidence based taking into account the selection criteria
- Any individual Athlete’s inclusion in LP’s Academy Programme or any of LP’s Competition Squads is decided on a majority vote by all members of the relevant Selection Panel
- All Selectors, including the Chairs, will be appointed based upon competency for the role, with an annual review. This may link and overlap with the roles Director of Netball, Head of Academies, and the relevant Head Coach.
- Selection Panel members will be appointed by LP’s Director of Netball.
- All Selection Panel members, through the Chair of Selectors, are accountable to LP’s Director of Netball and ultimately LP’s Board for ensuring that this Selection Policy and all associated procedures are applied in a fair and appropriate manner.
Appeals can only be submitted by a non-selected (or de-selected) Athlete on the grounds that:
- The selection process outlined in the Selection Process section above (or de-selection process outlined in the Injury & Replacement section below) has not been adhered to; or
- The selection (or de-selection) process adopted for that Athlete failed to take into account relevant information, which was available at the time, which the relevant Selection Panel under the Membership of Selection Panels section below did not consider.
An Athlete may request an appeal on either of the grounds listed in this section above by submitting a written request to the LP Director of Netball. Any appeal shall be made within two working days of the Squad announcement. At the time of lodging an appeal request, an appealing Athlete will be required to pay a deposit of £200 to LP. Should the appealing Athlete’s appeal be successful, the deposit will be re-paid in full to the appealing Athlete.
Appeals should be made following the “London Pulse: Appeals Process” attached.
Announcement & Notice
LP Academy Programme:
- Athletes invited in will ordinarily be notified of selection within 3 working days of the relevant Selection Panel meeting.
- Announcements may be posted on the LP social media channels after this date
Competition Squads for NPL, NPFL matches, tournaments and other events:
- Notification to Athletes will ordinarily be announced and may be posted on the LP social media channels within 48 hours of the relevant Selection Panel meeting
Athletes selected to LP’s Academy Programme or any of LP’s Competition Squads agree not to make any announcement to the media or public in any form (including personal websites or social media sites) regarding their selection until after LP have announced selection decisions to the public, or given expressed permission to do so.
Injury & Replacement
An Athlete may be removed from LP’s Academy Programme or any of LP’s Competition Squads in the event of:
- non-compliance in training,
- a breach of responsibility
- a violation of the codes of behaviour
At any stage following the selection announcement to LP’s Competition Squads and prior to the relevant competition an athlete may be recommended for de-selection by LP’s Director of Netball, Head of Academies, and/or the relevant Head Coach (under the Membership of Selection Panels section) due to:
- failure to reach LP’s performance expectations in training or competition
- an inability to compete to the best of her ability due to an injury and/or illness
Prior to removal, the Athlete in question or her appointed representative will be presented with the opportunity to attend a removal interview with LP’s Director of Netball, Head of Academies and/or relevant Head Coach and, where possible, one other independent person. Written justification must be provided for all removals. Decisions on these matters are open to appeal under the appeals process set out in the Appeals section above and the “London Pulse: Appeals Process” attached.
Once Athlete selections have been confirmed, all selected Athletes (including the reserve(s)) must agree not to withhold any information on training fitness, injury status or illness that could affect training or competition at any time until the point of the relevant competition.
All selected Athletes must declare any medications they are taking, in particular the use of any restricted medications, and submit these to the relevant Head Coach, Physiotherapist, and/or primary carer set out in this Selection Policy below for medical approval.
Assessment of inability to compete to best of ability
At any stage following the selection announcement and prior to the relevant competition, should there be any doubt over ability of a selected Athlete to compete to the best of her ability due to an injury and/or illness, the following procedure will be adhered to:
- The athlete will be referred to a designated Medical Officer (as set out in this Selection Policy below) to undergo a medical examination to determine her fitness to participate, which at this stage will be determined based on an assessment of whether or not the injury and/or illness is such that the Athlete is physically unable to compete or is a risk of causing medical harm to herself, or endangering other competitors, officials or spectators.
- If the Athlete passes the medical examination carried out by the Medical Officer (as set out in this Selection Policy below) and/or LP has concerns over whether or not the Athlete is able to compete to the best of her ability due to an underlying injury and/or illness the Athlete will be required to undertake LP’s designated ‘Fitness Test’.
- The Athlete will complete the ‘Fitness Test’ under ‘controlled competition conditions’.
- In the event that an Athlete fails to complete the ‘Fitness Test’ to the required standard, LP’s Director of Netball, Heady of Academy, and/or relevant Head Coach may recommend that the selected Athlete be de-selected and replaced with the reserve. The decision is open to appeal under the appeals process set out in the Appeals section above and the “London Pulse: Appeals Process” attached.
Whenever selecting Athletes for LP’s Academy Programme or any of LP’s Competition Squads, the relevant Selection Panel (under the Membership of Selection Panels section below) shall apply the What It Takes To Win (WITTW) principles. A grading of 1-4 will be applied when selecting against any and all such selection criteria, with 1 being the highest grading. The panel will also consider ‘other factors’ listed below within their final selection decisions.
Other factors considered
Other factors considered will include:
- Coachability: understands expectations, can apply learning and make changes
- Demonstrates ‘team’ qualities and ‘fit’ within the team
- State of fitness, health and wellbeing
- Positional balance within team
- Succession planning
- Number of fixtures on the annual calendar
- Current form or performance of existing team members
- Balance of experience and youth
- Nature of the competition the team is being selected for
- Whether an Athlete’s performance and/or contribution has been affected by extenuating circumstances such as illness, injury, bereavement, parental leave, work/study commitments or similar which have temporarily compromised their form and/or recent contribution.
Consideration may also be given to any other such factors that the Selection Panel considers in its sole discretion to be relevant and appropriate to the overall assessment of a particular player.
Membership of Selection Panels
LP Academy Programme and Competition Squads
- Director of Netball, or their delegate drawn from the Senior Coaching Team (one vote)
- Academy Head Coach (one vote)
- Relevant Head Coach (one vote)
- Chair of Selectors. If Chair is also represented under one of the roles above only one vote is permitted (one vote)
LP’s Head of Academies will review this Selection Policy on an annual basis in consultation with LP’s Director of Netball and LP’s coaching team. Proposed changes to this Selection Policy must be approved by Director of Netball. Any amendments to this Selection Policy must be given in writing to the Athletes, Head Coaches and other Selection Panel members and other key stakeholders. This Selection Policy (including any final variations or amendments) will be made available to all Athletes on request.
All those involved in the nomination and selection process must keep confidential and not disclose any information regarding any aspect of the process and/or any nominated or selected Athlete, unless authorised by LP.
Insofar as is permitted by law, London Pulse and its authorised agents do not accept liability for any loss or damage occurring as a result of the selection process. This shall not affect any statutory rights that are available, and this shall not limit or exclude any liability that may not be excluded or limited by law.
If there is any reason to believe that there has been a breach of this Selection Policy or any related terms and conditions, then LP, at its sole discretion, may exclude any Athlete from participating in the selection process.
This Selection Policy shall be governed by English law and, subject to the operation of any appeals as set out in the Appeals section above and the “London Pulse: Appeals Process” attached, the parties submit to arbitration as set out in the “London Pulse: Appeals Process” attached.